The Bar 10 Ranch & Guest Lodge is mostly known to Grand Canyon Whitewater rafters as their first interaction with civilization after a week roughing it on the Colorado River. But it is so much more than that…
Tony Heaton and his wife Ruby founded the ranch in the early 70s to continue their family heritage of ranching. Located just over the North Rim on the isolated Arizona Strip, access to the ranch posed for many complications. It was later simplified by adding an airstrip to the property. This was about the same time river running commercialized on the Colorado River. Tony’s business-like mindset and the need for access to the river became the perfect pair. River rafters were able to say farewell to the canyon after the Lava Falls Rapid, a good end to any trip, and take the one-hour mule ride up to the ranch.
Five generations later the ranch operation has grown to 10,000 deeded acres and over 200,000 acres of grazing rights on the BLM and Arizona State Lands. The mules were retired in 1985 and now helicopters transport 12,000 river rafters up to the lodge. They are greeted with western hospitality, a flush toilet, and a warm shower.
Things to keep in mind if your trip includes a stop at Bar 10.
- Guests from other Grand Canyon rafting outfitters will also be at the ranch.
- Your return flight will be scheduled when you “check-in” at the Bar 10 Ranch. We do not have this information in advance.
- You may want to have either cash or credit card for the gift shop. (towels for rent, shirts, flip flops, hats, decorative items, books, jewelry)
- Reserve a pair of clean clothes in a ziplock bag to wear after your shower.
- Enjoy! Bar 10 is likely the nicest airport you’ll ever visit. Relax on the grassy lawn or challenge friends to a game of billiards, table tennis, volleyball, or horseshoes.
While our rafters use Bar 10 merely as a convenient stop-over point between Grand Canyon and home, our sister company, Arizona River Runners, offers a perfect blend of the Western experience at the Bar 10 Ranch with a thrilling whitewater adventure on the Colorado River. On their 3 Day Motor trip you can choose to sleep in the lodge, outside in covered wagons or on cots on the grand deck. The chefs have got Dutch-oven cooking down to an art and the activities you can choose from are endless. The Bar 10 offers skeet-shooting, horseback rides, ATV rides, Western entertainment shows, a nature center and trail, roping station and much more. It’s a great taste of the West.